November 29, 2011

Indonesian Cities

Just got back from Yogyakarta for work this Saturday.. Make me think back, I kinda have this obsession to travel around the Indonesian cities.. hehehe! I just think that it would be very nice once I travel the world with this kind of knowledge about my own country and whatever it has -gathered from my own experience-

Now on this chance, I'll preview back the cities I've been visited all these years to see what's been done and to see that there's so many more to do.. Because I put a little more concern about culture and tourism, I will also give my comments more about those area.. So here it goes.. :)

I've spent more than half of my life in LAMPUNG, Bandarlampung to be exact. And maybe I've travel all around Lampung during those years. This province definitely has A LOT to offer! It is rich with culture and have a great potential for tourism. I loooove Lampung's traditional clothes, and it has this super fabulous material called TAPIS. The beaches are pretty nice, but with a very minimum facility. Lampung is also a heaven for food lovers, we can find lots of delicious menus, but also with a quite limited range of restaurant choices. Earlier, I did say 'potential', because I admit that all I can see until now is still the potential, not yet the progress to be the great tourism area. I can talk all day about this beauty, but better move on to the next object shall we.. ;)

Way back then when I was little, 3 years old, or maybe 4, my Grandmother took me on a train to JAMBI. 1 of my Aunt lived there at that time. Of course there's not much to remember except the journey I've experienced riding on a train for the first time (I think). Okay, I wish there'll be a time I can go back and actually talk about the city! :)

I visited MEDAN for the very first time on 2009 (if I'm not mistaken) with Trisakti University's Student Body members. My impression more or less about this place is that it has this potential to be an intriguing place for tourists to visit. The culture is phenomenal, lots to learn from its tradition. Not to mention the famous Ulos. But then again, the infrastructure and facilities are not enough to convince people that this place is ready for tourists. I went to this very high waterfall that turns out to be the highest waterfall in Indonesia! (I just found out a week ago from an article) The place?? so called standard. Nothing special about it. Cannot make me stay longer to enjoy the view. Definitely not a place to be remembered. The food choices are great! I'm a big fan of Durian, and the Durians there are awesome! with lots of taste! Although I prefer the original flavour.. hehe. And the rare tiger shells that I love so much?? I can find it here!! hihihi.

Next? CIREBON. I visited this place for the first time during my cousin's wedding. Well, this is the 3rd time that I say this city also has a lot to offer and potential to attract tourists. There's a center for sulfur bath that based on my opinion, is not well developed and taken care of. There's also a historical building that most of time, as we all know, did not get the attention needed from the government. Cirebon has its own original batik.

YOGYAKARTA was also 1 of my destination when I was traveling with the Student Body in 2008, but I think the first time I went there was with my family.. The fact that the kingdom concept is still existing in this province create more excitement among the people who visit, excitement to learn about the way the people live, the rich culture, the cuisine, the old buildings.

Next place is SURABAYA, hihihih. Looks like my journey with the Student Body starts to open up my view on the cities I've never visited before, for this, I thank my University.. :P Not much to talk about, but this place is famous for its cuisine's greatness. People often say that Surabaya is the center of food tourism. Well, until now, I've only been there for 2 times, and each visit wasn't more than 3 days. If I have more time (and the time I spent there is for holiday) I'll describe more about it.

Last year, for the first time, I set my foot on MAKASSAR, this time, I travel with my Sekdilu 35 friends on a field trip. I remember how excited I am to finally got to the eastern part of Indonesia!! :) I went to Trans Studio at that time, not bad. Me and my sisters also visited Fort Rotterdam for pictures, but besides that, nothing else special at the place. I love the food, but I don't like es Pisang Ijo, I found it very annoyingly sweet! :P The second time I went there is for work last month. I went a little crazy buying the souvenirs.. hahaha! 1 thing I notice and I don't like so much: the beach right next to the main road is not well developed and maintained.

What else? Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung.. Well, I love going back and forth to Bogor and Bandung, because of the easier access to reach those places. As for Jakarta, I live here now. hehehe.

Okay, that's how I describe VERY BRIEFLY about the cities I've visited. But the bottom line here is that the access (how to get there, how to get around the place), the information (all about where, when, what, who, why, and how), the facilities (anything that can elevate the excitement of visiting the tourism area), the infrastructure (place to stay, place to eat, etc) is still below expectation to support the development of the tourism sector. I am a proud Diplomat, and my passion is for culture and tourism. Any job in my Ministry that have something to do with the culture and tourism sector, would make me really excited to work on!! Wish I'll give my contribution for this sector.. :))

No comments: